Friday, August 3, 2012

What's with this at Route 5?

They tell me one sign of getting older is the failure to notice changes in your evironment.
When I was headed from Oneida to Canastota today, I was turning right onto Route 5 from Lenox Avenue (Route 365a), at the Five Corners by Walmart, when I noticed the no-right-turn-on-red sign.
I never saw it before. I know I've been through that intersecton recently (though I may well have  had a green light).
I always found it difficult to turn right there on red, since you had to look way back over your shoulder to see traffic coming; it was especially hard in my Jeep with its small windows.
In fact, as I approached the intersection, I'd always come in way to the left, then turn sharply to the right at the traffic light line before stopping. It gave me an angle to see the traffic coming on Route 5 in my mirror.
How long has that sign been there?
Was it put there at the same time the speed limit was lowered on Lenox Avenue?
More importantly, did we publish anything about it?
I'd love to know.

The Five Corners intersection in Oneida today.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Jennifer said...

Yes, I believe it has been there since the speed limit was changed. I happened to notice it one day, and realized it was new. On a slightly related note, I am happy that the right turn only sign in front of Rite Aid on Route 5 was finally REMOVED! It was very confusing, and the "proper" way of using the turning lane (moving over AFTER the Rite Aid light) was more dangerous than the (apparently) incorrect way that most people use that lane. If they're going to spring new signs on us, particularly in situations where they could cause confusion, there should be a press release so the public is aware of how to properly utilize the intersection before the police start doling out tickets.

August 3, 2012 at 11:11 AM 
Blogger Kurt Wanfried said...

Good idea, Jennifer. We'll do something.

August 3, 2012 at 7:51 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so glad you told me ive not seen it yet

August 8, 2012 at 2:36 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home