Sunday, June 26, 2011

Outdoor ceremony bold move

Oneida High School's plan for commencement exercises is a bit different than that of most schools. Workers prepare two venues, one inside the gym and one on the front lawn. nd decide at the last minute which they will use.
I talked to several of the Oneida City School District officials before Saturday's commencement exercises.
Among them were Principal Brian Gallagher, retiring Vocal Director Jeff Welcher and the man with the ultimate responsibility for the decision, Superintendent Ron Spadafora.
I told them the decision to hold the ceremony outdoors on the lawn instead of inside was a bold move, but I, for one, approved.
I've been at a lot of graduations and the OHS front-yard venue is about as nice a place as there is; it's far better than a hot, stuffy gymnasium.
Their luck didn't hold out as it started to rain about an hour into the event, so I'm sure there will be plenty of critics of the decision.
On this page you'll see a bunch of photos of the beginning grand march before the ceremony. I had a pretty good vantage point; I think that most of the graduates are included.
I'll also upload them to the photo gallery in case anyone wants high-quality reprints.













0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home